КОНТРОЛЬНОЕ ЗАДАНИЕ № 3
I. Перепишите следующие предложения, определите в каждом из них видовременную форму и залог глагола-сказуемого. Предложения переведите.
- When the street had been widened it could be used for bus and tram traffic.
- This offer will be carefully considered by the commission.
- A new research is being carried out successfully.
- He is listened to with great pleasure.
II. Переведите на русский язык следующие предложения, обращая внимание на разные значения слов it, that, one.
- He thinks that the telegram will be sent tomorrow.
- One should always keep care of him.
- It is known that children of Sparta were given a military education.
III. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на разные значения глаголов to be, to have, to do.
- You have to study much if you want to pass the examination well.
- He does not know English well.
- The boy had to tell his parents everything.
- They were to meet at the railway station.
IV. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на бессоюзное подчинение.
- He is interested in all marvels our age brings us.
- We know electricity produces heat.
V. Переведите следующие предложения, обращая внимание на функцию инфинитива.
- His task was to complete the work in time.
- He was the first to come.
- He lies to read English books.
- To know English well you must work hard.
VI. Переведите письменно следующий текст.
- Most gas turbine engines are axial: the compressed air in them moves in a linear direction. In a radial turbine engine, the air moves peripherally as in a centrifuge. Although the axial turbines are used where large amounts of power are required, R. J. Mowill, Norway, says radial engines could be used at the lower end of the high-power spectrum.
- His company has developed a 1.600-horsepower radial engine for ships. Reliability and low maintenance costs combined with smallness of size are advantages that make the engine competitive, he says. A key factor in making it more attractive is that the firm has been able to increase the engine’s compression ratio.
- All of the components in the engine are designed in order to cut down maintenance problems. Sliding bearings are used, for example, to reduce friction and to cope with gyroscopic forces in heavy seas.
Ceramic turbine engine
- The gas turbine has been considered a challenger to the internal combustion engine in cars. Auto engineers say that one way to make it competitive is to make it out of ceramics, which would permit higher turbine operating temperatures and therefore greater efficiency and fuel savings. Such a turbine would also be cheaper.
- Arthur F. McLean of the Ford Motor Co. sees silicon carbide and silicon nitride as prime candidates. Although these dense, low-cost materials show great heal and corrosion resistance, one drawback is that they can be brittle. This problem can be overcome, says McLean, by unique design to support ceramic components with metal housing.
VII. Прочитайте ещё раз последний абзац текста и ответьте на следующий вопрос:
What is the drawback of the ceramic turbine engine?